Skip to main content

Shakshuka -The Ultimate Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch Recipe

Shakshuka is a dish that originated in North Africa, the name comes from the sound the sauce makes while it’s cooking or so I was told during a visit to Morocco.

There are more variations for the dish depending on your dietary preference.  Sausages can be added to the recipe or chickpeas if you are vegetarian.  However, in my humble opinion, the original recipe is the best. 

Let’s start cooking!




Ingredients for 2 people:

2 eggs per person
2 diced onions
3 minced garlic cloves
2 diced green pepper
4 diced ripe tomatoes
Half tea spoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tea spoon paprika
1 quarter cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Chilli flakes optional
Parsley for garnish

Instructions:
Place a pan on the hob and add your olive oil when hot add the onions, peppers and garlic.

Sauté until completely cooked ( when the vegetables are broken down and translucent).

Now add your spices and stir for 30 seconds to release the flavour.

Add the diced tomatoes and stir so all the ingredients are well mixed.

Cover the pan and lower the heat and cook until the tomatoes disintegrate and the sauce thickens

Make a small place in the sauce and crack the eggs in there. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook to your liking.

Remove from the heat and garnish with parsley

Serve with crusty bread

Enjoy it with your loved ones!

Who is speaking?


I am Nina, a global banker by profession and a cook by passion.  I moved to Crete from London almost 5 years ago and never looked back.  My background is extremely mixed, I am Greek, Egyptian, Lebanese and Armenian. Wow ! What a mix i always think, hence it is not strange that I love food and I love to cook.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk of the Month - Mooji

  This month Mooji     Why Ask? “Who Am I” Mooji is a spiritual teacher born in Jamaica, now living in Portugal and giving Satsag all over the world.   It is a great pleasure for me to listen to him, I love his humour.   What I particularly like about this talk is that he answers the question "Who am I" in words that I can understand.   My life is dedicated to this question.  However, I have the feeling that in order to find out who I am, I first have to find out what I'm not.   I've been walking the path of self-awareness and self-knowledge for years now and whenever I thought I'd found myself, I quickly realized that it was just another layer of what I was not.   The older I get, the more I realize that the path and the wanderer are constantly changing, but that which observes the two remains the same.   I wish you much joy and knowledge while listening   Virtual hug and lots of love   Jan       Who Is speaking? My name is