Skip to main content

Nina's Kitchen - Fegato Alla Milanese

 Fegato alla Milanese (Liver Milan style)


One of my earliest childhood memories was of my Armenian grandmother making this incredible dish. As you will have noticed, the dish originated in Milan, along with all other rich Italian foods as a result of that city's prosperity.

Over the years, I've been fortunate to visit Milan countless times for business and pleasure and I always order this tasty dish because of the happy memories it invokes.





Ingredients: (for 2 people)
4 slices of beef liver
2 medium onions
1 glass of wine (250 mls)
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

Instructions:

1. Thinly slice the onions and place in a pan on high heat with the olive oil
2. Sautée the onions until they are a golden colour (not brown!)
3. Start to add a little wine, and watch for the pan to dry before adding some more wine. Keep doing this until the onions start breaking down in the pan.(You might need not need all the wine, so let the onions guide you here)
4. Now add your salt and pepper
5. Place the liver slices, and cook them for 4 minutes on each side, with the pan uncovered
6. If you still have any wine left, add it now. If not, add a quarter of a glass and cook for another 5 minutes
7. Serve with fried or mashed potatoes, rice or pasta

Enjoy with a crisp glass of wine and your loved ones.

P.s. if you don't drink wine, feel free to substitute with water and the juice of half a lemon.
P.p.s you can also make this with chicken liver!

Who is speaking?


I am Nina, a global banker by profession and a cook by passion.  I moved to Crete from London almost 5 years ago and never looked back.  My background is extremely mixed, I am Greek, Egyptian, Lebanese and Armenian. Wow ! What a mix i always think, hence it is not strange that I love food and I love to cook.





Comments