Skip to main content

Στο μονοπάρτι με την Ελένη / On the trail with Helen

Hi everyone! My name is Helen and I love exploring Crete, the mountains and the trails.  I am excited to share with you some of my favourite routes 🙂



Psiloritis - Crete’s highest mountain at 2,452m


There are a number of routes up to and around Psiloritis, however, there are 3 which are more widely known and I have done all of them.  From the North at Mygero refuge, from the East at Nida Plateau by Cave Ideon and from the South in Fourfouras.

Mygero Refuge Trail

The shortest but possibly steepest trail is from Mygero refuge.  From here the clearly marked trail is well travelled with steps of stones created that take you up the mountain.  It’s 5.8 miles in total with 2,843ft of climbing.  Approx 5 hours depending on your level of fitness and how many breaks you want to take.

Nida Plateau

From here you get to to see the famous Ideon Cave, supposed birth place of the God of Gods - Zeus! A more gradual incline 3,800ft over 11 miles out and back and likely to take you 7-8 hours in total.  I did this trail in June last year and there were still snow patches that were a little precarious that we had to slide down on the way back.  Also some thorny bushes in a few sections, so long socks or trousers recommended.  The way coming back felt like a bit of a slog and slow going!

Fourfouras


If adventure is your thing, then this one is by far my favourite route. More physically and technically demanding at 13 miles and 6.500ft of vertical gain will likely take you between 8 and 10 hours.


You have a little bit of dirt road at the start and after passing through 5 gates and 3km you get to the start of the trail.


It’s technical from the get go with loose rocks and you have to be continually vigilant to spot the markers. Sometimes yellow/black paint, sometimes red dots, sometimes e4 signs nailed to trees. Always keep the next marker in your eye line to make sure you are keeping on the trail as there are so many goat paths they all look the same and it’s very easy to go off course. I also downloaded the gpx file to my watch which was really helpful. The trail was easier to spot on the way down.


The first 5km of trail has one some shade through forests but is also the most technical and navigationally challenging (esp on the way down when you are already tired).


Then once you reach the refuge you are exposed all the way to the top. Here again stone is loose and the trail is easier to spot on the way back and a few steeper sections. Then from here  another 5km to intersect at the top with the other 2 trails for the final ascent to the peak where you will be rewarded with spectacular views from both sides of the mountain.


With all 3 routes please make sure to have plenty of water on you and pack something warm for the peak as it can get cold up there. Check the wind forecast too. If it is too windy it can be dangerous.  Also pretty exposed so if it's high summer come prepared for sun exposure and always take a gpx file with you or map.


The Power of Community

If I can share all this information with you it is because I am so passionate about running and hiking. Running has changed my life completely. 

For me it’s as much for my physical health as well as my mental health but more importantly it is the community that comes with it that makes it so special.

I still remember when I first started running (jogging!) and it wasn’t easy. My mission is to support as many people as possible on their way to discovering not only the health benefits but also the fun of running, being in nature and sharing great moments with a group of likeminded people.

That is why I organise a free social run every Monday, I have developed a Step into Running program for people who would like to start running and I create fun activities to get children excited about being in nature. Click on the links to find out more.


Who is speaking?

I am Helen, I am an ultra runner and sports nutritional advisor.  I am Cretan British and I have been coming to the island for 35 years. I lived and worked in the UK, Asia and America before quitting the corporate world  and discovering my passion for running and the outdoors


I  set the women's world record for the fastest known time to run across the state of Arizona which was 1,400kms, running for 17 consecutive days, the equivalent of 2 marathons a day.


If you would like to explore the island with me or have any questions about the trails featured here or are looking for more inspiration, please do not hesitate to reach out to me:

https://www.cretanwild.gr

https://www.facebook.com/cretanwild

https://www.facebook.com/helen.galerakis/

https://linktr.ee/cretanwild





Comments