Skip to main content

Find Out What Are The Most Common Barriers To Effective Communication

 

 What is effective communication?

Effective communication means that your ideas and concepts are being heard and people are acting upon them. When it comes to defining effective communication, it also means you are able to listen, understand, and take action on what other people say.

Effective communication is about more than just exchanging information. It's about understanding the emotion and intentions behind the information. As well as being able to clearly convey a message, you need to also listen in a way that gains the full meaning of what's being said and makes the other person feel heard and understood.

Effective communication sounds like it should be instinctive. But all too often, when we try to communicate with others something goes astray. We say one thing, the other person hears something else, and misunderstandings, frustration, and conflicts ensue.

For many of us, communicating more clearly and effectively requires learning some important skills. Learning these skills can deepen our connections to others, build greater trust and respect, and improve teamwork, problem solving, and our overall social and emotional health.

Common barriers to effective communication 



Stress and out-of-control emotion. When we are stressed or emotionally overwhelmed, we are more likely to misread other people, send confusing or off-putting nonverbal signals, and lapse into unhealthy knee-jerk patterns of behaviour. To avoid conflict and misunderstandings, we can learn how to quickly calm down before continuing a conversation.

Lack of focus. We can't communicate effectively when we are multitasking. If we are checking our phone, planning what we are going to say next, or daydreaming, we are almost certain to miss nonverbal cues in the conversation. To communicate effectively, we need to avoid distractions and stay focused.

Inconsistent body language. Nonverbal communication should reinforce what is being said, not contradict it. If you say one thing, but your body language says something else, your listener will likely feel that you're being dishonest. For example, you can't say “yes” while shaking your head no.

Negative body language. If you disagree with or dislike what's being said, you might use negative body language to rebuff the other person's message, such as crossing your arms, avoiding eye contact, or tapping your feet. You don't have to agree with, or even like what's being said, but to communicate effectively and not put the other person on the defensive, it's important to avoid sending negative signals.

To be continued with Effective Communication skills in the next edition! 

Who Is speaking?

Hi friends.I am Despoina Ntaountaki. I was born and raised in Salonica and I live in Chania -my anchestors land -from 2002.I am working as a preschool teacher fpr over 25 years-a job that pretty much adored.


I am involved in volunteering for over 10 years,having the vision for a society with more humanity,acceptance of dissimilarity ,offer of equal opprotunities to all.


I am very much interested in self actualization as well as building healthy, beautiful relationships and interactions with fellow humans. This is my field of interest in which I very much tried to educate myself through academic studies and also various seminars.


I believe that love is the most powerful force that exists in the universe. Let's make our world a better, more loving place for all living beings through collaboration and community!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talk of the Month - Mooji

  This month Mooji     Why Ask? “Who Am I” Mooji is a spiritual teacher born in Jamaica, now living in Portugal and giving Satsag all over the world.   It is a great pleasure for me to listen to him, I love his humour.   What I particularly like about this talk is that he answers the question "Who am I" in words that I can understand.   My life is dedicated to this question.  However, I have the feeling that in order to find out who I am, I first have to find out what I'm not.   I've been walking the path of self-awareness and self-knowledge for years now and whenever I thought I'd found myself, I quickly realized that it was just another layer of what I was not.   The older I get, the more I realize that the path and the wanderer are constantly changing, but that which observes the two remains the same.   I wish you much joy and knowledge while listening   Virtual hug and lots of love   Jan       Who Is speaking? My name is